2022-2023 Student Handbook
Welcome to the 2022-23 school year! Education is a team effort, and we know that students, parents, teachers, and other staff members all working together can make this a wonderfully successful year for our students.
The Student Handbook is designed to provide basic information that you and your child will need during the school year. The handbook is divided into two sections:
- Section I: Parental Rights offers information to assist you in responding to school-related issues. We encourage you to take some time to closely review this section of the handbook.
- Section II: Other Important Information for Students and Parents is organized alphabetically by topic, and, where possible, further divided by applicability to ages and/or grade levels, for quick access when searching for information on a specific issue.
Please be aware that the term “parent,” unless otherwise noted, is used to refer to the parent, legal guardian, any person granted some other type of lawful control of the student, or any other person who has agreed to assume school-related responsibility for a student.
Both students and parents should become familiar with the Hidalgo ISD Student Code of Conduct, which is a document adopted by the board and intended to promote school safety and an atmosphere for learning. That document may be found on the district’s website at www.hidalgo-isd.org and is available in hard copy upon request. The Student Handbook is a general reference guide only and is designed to be in harmony with board policy and the Student Code of Conduct. Please be aware that it is not a complete statement of all policies, procedures, or rules that may be applicable in a given circumstance. In case of conflict between board policy (including the Student Code of Conduct) and any provisions of the Student Handbook, the provisions of board policy and the Student Code of Conduct are to be followed.
Please be aware that the Student Handbook is updated yearly, while policy adoption and revision may occur throughout the year. The district encourages parents to stay informed of proposed board policy changes by attending board meetings and reviewing newsletters and other communications explaining changes in policy or other rules that affect Student Handbook provisions. The district reserves the right to modify provisions of the Student Handbook at any time, whenever it is deemed necessary. Notice of any revision or modification will be given as is reasonably practical under the circumstances. Although the Student Handbook may refer to rights established through law or district policy, the Student Handbook does not create any additional rights for students and parents. It does not, nor is it intended to, create contractual or legal rights between any student or parent and the district. If you or your child has questions about any of the material in this handbook, please contact the school principal. Also, please complete and return to your child’s campus the following forms provided in the forms packet distributed at the beginning of the year or upon the student’s enrollment:
- Acknowledgment Form OR Acknowledgment of Electronic Distribution of Student Handbook;
- Notice Regarding Directory Information and Parent’s Response Regarding Release of Student Information;
- Parent’s Objection to the Release of Student Information to Military Recruiters and Institutions of Higher Education, if you choose to restrict the release of information to these entities; and
- Consent/Opt-Out Form.
Note: References to policy codes are included so that parents can refer to board policy. The district’s official policy manual is available for review in the district administration office and an unofficial electronic copy is available at www.hidalgo-isd.org
If you have difficulty accessing the information in this document because of disability, please contact Jennifer Garza, Director of Public Relations, by phone at 956-843-4409, or by email at [email protected]